Monday, August 8, 2011

Is meat safe if you re-freeze it after it has thawed out?

Here is the details, me and a friend of mine (my girl friend's neighbor) were cleaning up at a school in the cafeteria and we had to pull the freezers out from the wall. We were doing the major cleaning that takes place before the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. The regular cook staff just does general cleaning and they don't pull the freezers out from the wall because they are large heavy commercial freezers, so they end up hiring an independent contractor to do the job. Well, my friend didn't turn back on the surge suppressor strip that the freezers plug into (he just plugged them into the surge suppressor power strip without remembering to turn the power strip back to the on position). There were several 30 pound cases of hamburger patties in each of the freezers. My friend didn't tell me this until today. I want to mention that he was the one that was responsible for plugging back in the power strip, not me. Either way, I have access to the school and I can say I forgot something and then run into the cafeteria and turn the power strip back on. My concern is that meat being thawed out over the weekend and then being refrozen. I think it will be okay, but my girl friend says you can't thaw meat and then refreeze it. I am going to fire my friend because I don't need workers like that, but at the same time, I don't want to tell the school about the meat because I could lose my contract with the school. Will it be okay if I just plug it back in and not say anything? I don't think meat being thawed over the weekend will hurt it because it is still inside the sealed boxes. I remember when I was in college, I left meat out all day and then cooked it and ate with no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment